Finding a way to pick a healthy diet or tweak your workout is easy because the resources are quickly available and recognizable. But what if you’re trying to find out the best ways on how to overcome sex addiction? The general population knows next to nothing about sex addiction, where it comes from, and how to treat it. These resources will connect you with 10 ways recommended by the leaders of the sex addiction therapy field.
10 Steps on How to Overcome Sex Addiction Successfully
- Find a Certified Sex Addiction Therapist (CSAT) and begin weekly individual therapy. International Institute for Trauma & Addiction Professionals (IITAP)
- Begin attending a weekly group therapy session with others who are also in treatment for sex addiction. Your CSAT can help you find a group.
- Start learning about sex addiction by reading “Out of the Shadows” and working through “Facing the Shadow”.
- Find and begin attending a support group. We all have blind spots and can benefit from learning from others. Working on sex addiction is no different.
Sex Addicts Anonymous
- Get a sponsor at your support group and begin working through the 12-Steps
- Create a holistic self-care plan that schedules out how you will take care of yourself in your Recovery. Your therapist and sponsor can help you with this
- Identify what your sexual acting out bottom lines and get 90 days abstinence. The importance of 90 days of sobriety cannot be emphasized enough. Not being sober during therapy is like an alcoholic continuing to drink while checked into an detox center.
- Begin journaling your emotions daily. When you stop acting out and start confronting things you’ve been avoiding, strong emotions are sure to surface. Process them in a healthy way.
- Begin practicing mindfulness. Practicing just 5 minutes a day will help you become aware of what emotions you’re feeling in real time. This helps you identify triggers and is importance in relapse prevention.
- Write and practice your self-affirmations. What do you like about yourself? What are you good at? What are your successes and victories? You are not defined by your addiction. Remind yourself of this truth.
If you have any questions on finding or getting connected with any of these resources, please ask us. LifeWorks Recovery specializes in sex addiction therapy and we are experts in helping people with what is an overwhelming and delicate matter.